[vlc-devel] VLCKit: half-baked ARC conversion

Florent Pillet fpillet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:58:50 CEST 2014

On 07 Jul 2014, at 01:06, Carola Nitz <nitz.carola at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the half-baked ARC conversion and any inconvenience with your patches Florent.

No problem. It's my fault I should have resubmitted my patches earlier.

> There are no ARC-related patches in the pipe from my side and it would be great if Florent could help with the ARC conversion.
> Moving VLCKit to ARC should be doable without dropping 10.6 support if we change the usage of weak into unsafe unretained right?

I wouldn't approach it this way, IMHO. Using ARC properly is the way of the future, and unsafe_unretained is not suitable for some of the uses (it's, as the name suggests it, very unsafe). I'd rather use weak when needed, so that it automatically zeroes out when the referenced object disappears.

> So from my side there is no argument against completely converting to ARC.

Fine. I already have a series of patches to submit, although conversion is not complete on my side yet.

Felix, would you mind chiming in and stating your point of view? I'll need a day or two to complete my patches (have some work to do in the meantime :))

Florent