[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Mar 4 01:07:41 CET 2014

On 03 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> breaks, it could be run-time breaks or whatever can break. Attacking whomever
> upstream "broke" your build is just wrong, and annoying.

Sorry, but I think it is time that you acknowledge Android as one of the
most important port of VLC (maybe the second one, after Windows, now).

> To avoid this, the only option I have to offer consists of pinning the VLC
> build you build upon to a known compatible commit hash.

Which is already what is done.

Yet, next time the HASH is updated, it will break... It is normal for
developers to care about it.

> Again, if you want to use the native pkg-config to make a non-native build, you
> ought to configure the pkg-config environment variables before you invoke the
> VLC build system. Presumably you already do that for a number of other build
> tools already; without settings you get the native tools and native libraries.

According to $(deity) CROSS-pkg-config is a wrapper:
https://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythbuster/pkgconfig/cross-compiling.html

Whether using such wrappers is "the right way", I don't know yet, and it
might be possible that it is; personnally, I will wait for Flameeyes
opinion.
But I think it is quite normal that people ask for the reason of this new
requirement.
Indeed, for years, we used pkg-config directly without CROSS and it
worked; and on many cases, there is no $CROSS-pkg-config tool provided.

As far as I am concerned, this is now breaking Win32 and Win64
compilation on Arch, and Android compilation from all platforms.

> Why do you think I bother writing commit logs?

Because this is a community software project, with numerous members.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734