[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 4 08:28:09 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 01:07:41 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On 03 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> breaks, it could be run-time breaks or whatever can break. Attacking
>> whomever
>> upstream "broke" your build is just wrong, and annoying.
>
> Sorry, but I think it is time that you acknowledge Android as one of the
> most important port of VLC (maybe the second one, after Windows, now).

I will not acknowledge an external tree that has not been through the
upstream review process as supported. I think it is time that you
acknowledge sane community open-source ways of working. It is important for
some people and the project, but that is a different thing.

>> To avoid this, the only option I have to offer consists of pinning the
>> VLC
>> build you build upon to a known compatible commit hash.
>
> Which is already what is done.
>
> Yet, next time the HASH is updated, it will break... It is normal for
> developers to care about it.

This is a red herring. The whole point in pinning to a hash is to wait for
a known usable version, if necessary by sorting things out locally and/or
upstream. You know that very well.

>> Again, if you want to use the native pkg-config to make a non-native
>> build, you
>> ought to configure the pkg-config environment variables before you
>> invoke the
>> VLC build system. Presumably you already do that for a number of other
>> build
>> tools already; without settings you get the native tools and native
>> libraries.
>
> According to $(deity) CROSS-pkg-config is a wrapper:

https://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythbuster/pkgconfig/cross-compiling.html

Accroding to pkg-config automake rules, the prefixed form is prefered over
the native one. That's just a fact of how the macro is written. Forth time
I explain it. Even if it were not, an option to enable VLC contribs has
absolutely no businesss *overriding* (as opposed to adding to) the build
configuration.

Of course, pkg-config having no architecture dependencies other than the
default search path, using a wrapper is the most convenient implementation.
This changes nothing to the fact that this appears to be preferred
upstream. And even if it were only one of two different ways, it remains
that this change leaves both methods usable, while the old hack makes the
cross-method impossible.

Sent from my collocated server