[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Mar 4 10:05:31 CET 2014

On 04 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 01:07:41 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
> wrote:
> > On 03 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> >> breaks, it could be run-time breaks or whatever can break. Attacking
> >> whomever
> >> upstream "broke" your build is just wrong, and annoying.
> >
> > Sorry, but I think it is time that you acknowledge Android as one of the
> > most important port of VLC (maybe the second one, after Windows, now).
>
> I will not acknowledge an external tree that has not been through the
> upstream review process as supported.

Pressuring to remove projects/ from vlc.git and saying that is a bit
of a joke...

And unfortunately, I'm quite sure you are in the minority on that: iOS and
Android are important parts of this project. Do you want us to vote?

> I think it is time that you acknowledge sane community open-source ways of working.

Please read again and apply exact the same to you.

> I explain it. Even if it were not, an option to enable VLC contribs has
> absolutely no businesss *overriding* (as opposed to adding to) the build
> configuration.

Sorry, but it makes sense for cross-compilation, where you do not want the
system libraries to interfere.
Since pkg-config does not do a linking check, it does make sense.

pkg-config being a mess is not news, though...

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734