[vlc-devel] contribs issues in Linux 64 bits architecture /2

Gilles Sabourin gilles.sabourin at free.fr
Wed May 28 08:04:16 CEST 2014

Sorry for double post...

Le mercredi 28 mai 2014 10:07:53, vous avez écrit :
> Le 2014-05-27 23:50, Gilles Sabourin a écrit :
> > Sorry, this mail was truncated by my email client...
> >
> > So, In addition to mix the paths of libraries in both $(HOST)/lib64
>
> > and $(HOST)/lib, the same problem occurs for pkgconfig directories:
> The VLC contribs only add its own output directory to pkg-config, it
> does not touch the existing pkg-config path(s) in case of native builds.
> So I do not see a problem for native Linux amd64.

Not sure that $(HOST)/lib64/pkgconfig is taken into account in main vlc
configure. I fail to see another path for amd64 target line 390:
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${CONTRIB_DIR}/lib/pkgconfig:
$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"

> Furthermore, "lib64" is deprecated by Linux distributions.

Yeah, we just have to wait ... 10 more years? For:
gettext, libDSL, liba52, libasprintf, libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread,
libfaad, libgcrypt, libgoom, libgpg, libjpeg, libmad, libmodplug, libmp3lame,
libopenjpg, libsidplay2, libtiff
which wrongly target ($HOST)/lib64 to go elsewhere...

Do not be surprised then, to get more critics against Linux and FOSS...