[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] libvlc: refactor sfilter enabling/disabling

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at videolan.org
Thu Sep 4 11:28:31 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Jean-Paul Saman <git at videolan.org> wrote:
> vlc | branch: master | Jean-Paul Saman <jpsaman at videolan.org> | Tue Mar 25 13:50:34 2014 +0100| [93900cd71aff74d4eec617d8f87be97427f83101] | committer: Jean-Paul Saman
>
> libvlc: refactor sfilter enabling/disabling
>
> Refactor sfilter enabling and disabling. One glitch stays present:
> A user needs to call libvlc_{logo,marq,adjust}_int{ p_mi, libvlc_{logo,marq,adjust}_Enable, twice initially. Once before setting options to get module to load and second after setting options. After this Enabling/Disabling works as expected.
> NOTE: when changing an option one MUST call
> libvlc_{logo,marq,adjust}_int{ p_mi, libvlc_{logo,marq,adjust}_Enable, again.
>
> The patch removes the dependency on the deprecated function vlc_object_find_name()
>
>> http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/vlc.git/?a=commit;h=93900cd71aff74d4eec617d8f87be97427f83101
> ---

I here-by request this commit to be reverted for the 2.2 branch of libvlc.

It breaks the API behavior after a feature freeze (which was on Feb
20) without coming up with a proper solution or workaround. Restarting
the adjust filter after changing any value is _not_ option, especially
given that libvlc client applications tend to show a slider for the
adjust values, so those can change multiple times _per second_, which
is not feasible when disabling and rebuilding the chain.

For libvlc 3.0, I'd suggest to do a quick break-out session at VDD or
discussion during our typical VLC technical meetup to find a proper
solution how to implement a core helper method to set video filters
through the libvlc external API as well as our normal desktop GUIs
(which still use vlc_object_find_name in the current HEAD).

Thanks!

Felix