[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] libvlc: refactor sfilter enabling/disabling

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 4 11:42:17 CEST 2014

Le 2014-09-04 12:28, Felix Paul Kühne a écrit :
> It breaks the API behavior after a feature freeze (which was on Feb
> 20) without coming up with a proper solution or workaround.
> Restarting
> the adjust filter after changing any value is _not_ option,
> especially
> given that libvlc client applications tend to show a slider for the
> adjust values, so those can change multiple times _per second_, which
> is not feasible when disabling and rebuilding the chain.

I don't disagree that restarting the filter to change a parameter sucks
(and if we wanted to do it that way, then why bother with all the filter
callbacks?).

But I don't really agree that fitler settings should always take
immediate effects either. If you need to change more than one parameter,
and you sometimes do, then applying the change straight away will result
in a glitch at best, and a crash at worst (if the intermediate set of
parameters is invalid).