[vlc-devel] Where to contribute to French localization of VLC?

Yann Ricquebourg yann.ricquebourg at irisa.fr
Wed Aug 19 12:40:43 CEST 2015

Hi,

I just wanted to add some information showing something is not very clear for
users wanting to contribute to VLC translations:

1) http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/ write:
"most of the translation work has moved to transifex, you will probably want to check out the current information
http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/transifex-howto.html "

2) Then, on the mentioned ling http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/transifex-howto.html
"Use transifex only if you like"
"If the strings change in the git, the current version will show up automatically (within a day), so you won't have to take care of that yourself.
You can upload whenever you got something translated and don't need to email your progress and I will upload them to git at release time.
Even better: Some of the nightly builds fetch the current translations, so you can see them live within a day.
You can have several translators (maybe as reviewers) in your team."

=> Then one is motivated into using transifex.com

3) But on https://www.transifex.com/yaron/vlc-trans/ we read the opposive advice as mentioned in my previous e-mail:
"We are only keeping the translations in here. If you like to help translating [...]
Else, it is possible that all your work will be lost or be done twice."

=> Then one is informed that this is not the best place to contribute...

Any possibilities to make those information more clear?
Best regards,

-Yann.

Yann Ricquebourg wrote on 19/08/2015 at 12h18