[vlc-devel] Why does VLC source contain Makefile.in?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 08:31:00 CEST 2015

Hi,
So far, I was building VLC 2.1.5 source code. Today, I downloaded VLC 2.2.1 source tarball. However, my build script doesn't work anymore.
I have a custom stream filter. In the past, I would replace Modules.am in vlc/modules/stream_filter directory with my own. However, it seems stream_filter does not have Modules.am file anymore.
The directory does contain Makefile.am. So I went ahead and made changes in this file. However, when I run "configure," my changes were never getting picked up.
After spending a couple of hours, what I found out is that any changes in modules/stream_filter/Makefile.am will never get picked up. The problem is that VLC source comes with modules/Makefile.in. It appears automake had no reason to recreate Makefile.in.
I am wondering if VLC already contains modules/Makefile.am, why does it package Makefile.in as well? We know running "configure" will generate this file anyway.
Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,Peter