[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] picture: factor freeing picture_t

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Fri Dec 14 09:03:49 CET 2018

On 13/12/2018 16:50, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le torstaina 13. joulukuuta 2018, 11.16.35 EET Steve Lhomme a écrit :
>> This crashes on Windows. The commits after that don't fix it.
>> It crashes with software and hardware chromas when freeing the decoded
>> picture.
> There are only two ways that this changeset can crash: either it's a trivial-
> to-fix double free, or it's some latent/preexisting bug.

We'll see when there is a fix. I had a look and it didn't look like a
double free. The free() crashes with a memset() inside, probably to
write 0xdeadbeef in debug builds. But the memory has proper values
before the call.
Also it's not the first free() that crashes but after a few frames are
decoded.

The fix may be trivial but it's not trivial to find.

> Either way, I don't see the need to make a huge deal on vlc-devel.

This is how we signal the author that a commit has an issue. That's why
vlc-commit mails have a reply-to going to vlc-devel.
Examples:
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-October/121682.html
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-July/120197.html
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-July/120196.html
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-June/119543.html
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-June/119481.html
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-June/119467.html

>> Can you send your patches on the ML when you have big changes like that
>> that you are not sure about ?
> I do. And typically, they get ignored for more than a week, if not forever.

It's still worth a try.