[vlc-devel] OpenHMD branch?

Lomax lomax at clickworkorange.com
Sat May 18 03:19:42 CEST 2019

Hi Alexandre,

I'm now up & running on a shiny new Intel NUC 8 "Hades Canyon" with a
Core i7-8705G @ 3.10 GHz and a Radeon RX Vega M GL GPU, which totally
spanks the previous Celeron/UHD 600 system - and then some! To
absolutely no surprise, video playback is now butter smooth, even at the
highest resolution I have to test with (3840x2178, h264 part 10 4:2:0
mp4, ~75mbit!), and head movements are much less jerky. So a worthwhile
upgrade, for sure, though I'm still surprised by how poorly the previous
set-up performed - I would have much preferred embedding a tiny fanless
into the exhibition, but the NUC 8 is a reasonable size.

So I started with a clean slate, still using Debian Sid (to ensure mesa
18.x, libdrm-amdgpu1 2.4 and kernel 4.19 amongst other things). Building
vlc was almost as painful as last time - I logged over 40(!) steps in my
notes, most of them dealing with unexpected build errors, incorrect
library versions, missing dependencies, some of which were more painful
than others (assimp, irrXML, protobuf - I'm looking at you!). At least
the i7 allowed me to race through most of them this time. Some of my
notes may be of interest:

Packages needed (from blank netinstall of Debian Sid):
````
firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree build-essential gettext git bison
pkg-config flex autotools-dev autoconf libtool cmake libxml2-dev
libjson-glib-dev lua5.2 liblua5.2-dev ffmpeg libavcodec-dev
libavformat-dev libswresample-dev libswscale-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev libx264-dev libx265-dev libxcb-composite0
libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev
libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev
libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-sync-dev
libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcomposite-dev
libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev
libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxkbcommon-dev libxrandr-dev
libxrender-dev mesa-common-dev libxkbcommon-x11-0 libxcb-image0
libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-xkb1 libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-xkb-dev mesa-utils libgl1-mesa-glx libva-dev vainfo
libasound2-dev qt5-default qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools
qtbase5-private-dev libqt5svg5-dev libqt5x11extras5 libqt5x11extras5-dev
libhidapi-libusb0 libhidapi-dev kdelibs-bin libusb-1.0.0-dev
libspatialaudio-dev libpostproc-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev glslang-dev
xfce4 lightdm
````
I'd be interested to hear if any of these look suspicious - or
suspiciously absent - in this list. I do get full GPU (2D/3D) support
indicated by vainfo and glxinfo:

````
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.4 (libva 2.4.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 18.3.6 for AMD VEGAM (DRM
3.27.0, 4.19.0-5-amd64, LLVM 7.0.1)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
````
````
$ glxinfo
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
Device: AMD VEGAM (DRM 3.27.0, 4.19.0-5-amd64, LLVM 7.0.1) (0x694e)
Version: 18.3.6
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 4096MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 4.5
Max compat profile version: 4.5
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
````
I'm a bit disappointed not to see h265 among the supported profiles,
which I had with the Intel UHD 600 - that said, I have no experience of
what actual benefits it would offer for our application, I only know
it's supposedly somewhat more effective at compressing >=4k content.

Error when using shipped OpenHMD lib (v0.2.0):
````
video_output/hmd/openhmd.c: In function 'HMDThread':
video_output/hmd/openhmd.c:284:36: error: 'OHMD_UNIVERSAL_DISTORTION_K'
undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean
'OHMD_DISTORTION_K'?
ohmd_device_getf(sys->hmd, OHMD_UNIVERSAL_DISTORTION_K,
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OHMD_DISTORTION_K
````
This was resolved by cloning OpenHMD at v0.3.0-rc1 and building &
installing it. VLC still couldn't find it though:
````
vlc: error while loading shared libraries:
libopenhmd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
````
This was resolved by editing /etc/ld.so.conf and adding `include
/usr/local/lib`, and then doing `# ldconfig`

Build fails with missing -lIrrXML error:
I haven't saved the exact error message, but VLC build choked on this,
despite the shipped assimp(-dev) lib being the same version (4.1) as
that in vlc/contrib - apparently the Debian package doesn't include the
obscure (and very old) irrXML library, nor is it included in the repos.
I tried installing libirrlicht(-dev) but this too did not include
irrXML. Many hours spent on this one. Eventually resolved by cloning
assimp at 4.1.0, modifying the included contrib/irrXML/CMakeLists.txt,
changing ARCHIVE DESTINATION ${ASSIMP_LIB_INSTALL_DIR} to ARCHIVE
DESTINATION lib, and building.

Build fails with missing protoc:
--------------------------------
Despite ./configure being happy, build fails with:
````
../../contrib/src/protobuf/rules.mak:13: *** protoc not found in PATH
/home/ola/Sources/vlc/extras/tools/build/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
- - . Stop.
````
Pah, easy-peasy, just install protobuf-compiler. Actually, no:
````
../../contrib/src/protobuf/rules.mak:19: *** /usr/bin/protoc version
3.6.1 doesn't match the protobuf 3.1.0 we're building. Stop.
````
*sigh* That's the price you pay for being on Sid, I guess. Resolved by
cloning & building protobuf @ 3.1.0.

Virtual theatre errors:
-----------------------
For some reason VLC tries to load the virtual theatre, even though the
video is shown as a full 360 equirrectangular stereoscopic projection -
I though the VT was only to be used for "normal" video viewing, and even
then perhaps it is a bit of a distraction? This load falls over with a
bunch of missing file errors, e.g.
````
[00007fa4da936210] filesystem access error: cannot open file
/home/ola/Sources/vlc/share/VirtualTheater/vlc_theater_model_embed.fbm/sol_Sol_mtl_Metalness.png
(No such file or directory)
````
I would much rather VLC didn't even try - we have no need at all for
this functionality.

Other observations:
-------------------
It's fantastic to finally be able to see what these videos really look
like; I was quite blown away by the experience of suddenly being below
the sea and had to genuinely resist the urge to try to swim for the
surface! Though it's also clear that the technology has its limits.
Despite the massive panels the resolution doesn't look that great in
practice; if you look for them, individual pixels are obvious, and I can
clearly see where the panels end, at the far edges of the field of
vision, with a sharp black edge. This is all to be expected of course.

I'm also seeing slightly double, though that may just be my terrible
eyesight. Or is it possible that the 3D transformations need adjusting
somehow?

Although playback is near perfect, and a far cry from the slideshow I
was getting before, CPU usage remains suprisingly high, with VLC jumping
between 100 and 300% in top while playing the high resolution test
video. I'd be interested to hear if this seems normal?

And there *is* still a slight strobing effect when moving your head,
like the left and right images aren't updated quite simultaneously? It's
not so bad as to make it unusable, and again a far cry from my earlier
tests, but still a little disappointing considering the massive upgrade
in OpenGL performance.

What's worse is that VLC crashes frequently with errors like:
````
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007f7058fbb2a0] avcodec decoder error: more than 25 frames of late
video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)

... repeats a couple dozen times, then crashes with ...

[h264 @ 0x7f705906e8c0] co located POCs unavailable
[h264 @ 0x7f705908afc0] co located POCs unavailable
[h264 @ 0x7f7058fed540] co located POCs unavailable
[h264 @ 0x7f7059035a80] mmco: unref short failure
````
And I'm also getting some weird errors on launch:
````
$ ./vlc
VLC media player 4.0.0-dev Otto Chriek (revision 7f8c788)
[000055ba518a3950] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface.
Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[000055ba5193e420] main playlist: playlist is empty
[000055ba519554f0] qt interface: trying to load an HMD device
[00007fa4d80038b0] gl gl: Enabling HMD mode
[00007fa4d80038b0] gl gl: Enabling HMD mode
[00007fa4d82697f0] chain filter error: Too high level of recursion (3)
[00007fa4d825dd10] main filter error: Failed to create video converter
[00007fa4d82697f0] chain filter error: Too high level of recursion (3)
[00007fa4d825dd10] main filter error: Failed to create video converter
[00007fa4d82697f0] chain filter error: Too high level of recursion (3)
[00007fa4d825dd10] main filter error: Failed to create video converter

... repeats lots of times (100+) ...

[00007fa4d82697f0] chain filter error: Too high level of recursion (3)
[00007fa4d825dd10] main filter error: Failed to create video converter
[00007fa4cc0012c0] main vout display error: Failed to create video
converter
[00007fa4cc0012c0] main vout display error: Failed to adapt decoder
format to display
[00007fa4e41a6c50] main video output error: video output creation failed
[00007fa4f40c1680] main decoder error: failed to create video output
[000055ba519554f0] qt interface: HMD device already loaded, reusing it
[00007fa4d80038b0] gl gl: Enabling HMD mode
````
So definitely not stable enough for deployment, but at least I'll and
have something to show for the week I've spent buried under a mountain
of code - I'm sure it will blow my co-workers' minds, as it did mine! :D

Cracking on,

Lomax

P.S. Apologies for the MarkDown - I have no idea how to best format
messages for this mailinglist!