[vlc-devel] Clarifications about license and usage

Alexandre Janniaux ajanni at videolabs.io
Mon May 25 14:01:40 CEST 2020

Hi,

Nice to see VLCKit users. O/

About the licensing issues, I don't think you can easily link
VLCKit statically without providing your code, especially if
you plan to develop your application in XCode. The following
link details what is allowed better than I can do.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LGPLStaticVsDynamic

But you can use dynamic linking without those restriction of
course, even on the AppStore. Just make sure you use a LGPLv2
binary of VLCKit and not a LGPLv3 binary to distribute on the
appstore. For MobileVLCKit, this should be ok.

The fact that you don't modify MobileVLCKit means that you can
just link our VLCKit repository instead of distributing the
sources of VLCKit yourself. If you recompile a modified
version of VLCKit, you will need to distribute your sources.
Maybe distributing patches and mentioning the VLCKit URL and
the git hash that was used is enough but to be honest, this
would be a question for a lawyer, not a developer.

I hope it helps!

Regards,
--
Alexandre Janniaux