[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] video_output: let the deinterlacing code access vout_thread_interlacing_t

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Tue Nov 17 07:29:41 CET 2020

On 2020-11-16 17:24, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 16 novembre 2020, 09:23:37 EET Steve Lhomme a écrit :
>> It doesn't look like a rejection at all. And the patchset, in the end,
>> achieves something important: applying the deinterlacing before the
>> interlaced picture is displayed, nor after.
>
> All this patch does is add an ugly and confusing pattern of doubly nesting
> private structure. That's something we've never done, and I think that is
> something we should never do, because it's just too damn confusing.
>
> I already pointed that out *two* reviews ago.

And I already explained that it's the path to fix the interlacing
enabling order.

> And you can say whatever you want. There are no fundamental reasons why this
> would ever be necessary. There cannot be fundamental reasons why this would be
> necessary in the first place: it's just a questionable choice of style, out of
> many, to implement the bug fix that you're trying to implement.

If it's down to code style it's a matter of taste, not rejection. The
code is in fact a lot more readable now with less vlc variable and
structure fields to achieve the same thing. Your coding taste doesn't
matter here.