Fw: is this project alive?

CORDING Darryl darrylcording at energex.com.au
Thu Oct 12 03:00:25 CEST 2000

Hi,

I am one of those people that noticed your email regarding vlc on the livid
list. I too was having all sorts issues with oms, although it ran pretty
much out-of-the-box for me first time around(without quality audio), but I
have never got it going again since. I downloaded vlc but have not been able
to get it going either, it just sits there with "waiting for stream....".
Output from stdout/stderr has been variable, first I would get messages of
the form "can not find starting point.." now all I get are seg faults. There
are all various error messages produced depending one which vob's I tell vlc
to use. That maybe normal, I am not that familiar with dvd filesystems yet.

In /var/log/messages I continually get this:
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel: hdd: packet command error: error=0x50
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel: ATAPI device hdd:
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel:   Error: Illegal request -- (Sense
key=0x05)
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel:   Cannot read medium - incompatible
format -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x02)
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel:   The failed "Read Subchannel" packet
command was:
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel:   "42 02 40 01 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00
"
	Oct 12 09:12:39 bugs kernel: hdd: packet command error: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

Which suggests to me that I'm missing something in the kernel, probably in
the cdrom-ide driver. I have tried kernels 2.2.12-20, 2.2.16-3 and
2.4.0-test9 but all give the same error messages. Next I will try 2.2.16-22.
I have been using Xfree86 3.3, I have download 4.0 but have not installed it
as yet.

My dvd drive as detected at bootup is, TORiSAN DVD-ROM DRD-U624, ATAPI CDROM
drive.

I was wondering if anybody has come across this before any maybe able to
point me in the right direction from here ??

Thanks for any feedback
Darryl