vlc Gdk-ERROR after upgrade to XFree86 4.0.2

Kevin Murphy kbmurph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 16:34:53 CEST 2001

I seem to have broken my previously working vlc.  Vlc
formerly worked well for me (using 4.0.1, SDL 1.0.8,
and Nvidia's 0.9-6 drivers, I think), but with lower
framerates because it was running without YUV
acceleration.  Tonight I finally got around to
updating to xfree86 4.0.2, to deal with the YUV issue
that others mentioned recently.

Vlc starts fine.  After I try to load a disc, but
before the disc begins to play, it crashes with this
error:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
operation)
  serial 35 error_code 11 request_code 142 minor_code
19

I have tried recompiling vlc from scratch (both 0.2.63
with distclean and from CVS), and I get the same
error.  I have also updated gdk-pixbuf to 0.10.1, to
no avail.  The --warn 0 output does not indicate
anything out of the ordinary happening with the 0.2.63
version, at least until the crash.  The CVS version
warnings include a couple that seem to come from some
gnome/gtk components in the videolan libraries
(playlist maybe?  - I'm not at my computer to check
right now), so I moved those before recompiling one
time, and that did not help either.  I have not
noticed problems with any other apps yet.  Has anyone
else had this problem after moving to xfree86 4.0.2
with nvidia drivers?  Any hints on what gtk and gnome
libraries I should have?  Need any more information?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Keep up the great work (and I can always go back to
xfree86 4.0.1 if all else fails).

Kevin