Newbie Question: Problems on Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sat Dec 15 05:08:44 CET 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:24:29PM +0100, Andreas Gschwendtner wrote:
> I just downloaded OSEx 0.0100b (is this the latest version?), but I
> didn't see an option to extract a whole DVD, just single VOBs. How did
> you extract a whole DVD (including menu-structure, .ifo-files, etc.)?
> Are we talking about the same thing? (I downloaded from
> www.macdvd.org/lukifer). Anyway - extracting single VOBs is what I want
> to do, after all...
>
> So I decided to give the program a try and extracted a single .vob-file.
> Same problem: vlc crashes every time I try to play it. On my Windows PC
> the ***same*** File I extracted using OSEx plays just fine! So this
> problem must _really_ be within vlc and does _not_ depend on ripping. I
> tried several tools for ripping DVDs on my Windows PC and I can play all
> of my extracted VOBs on that machine using Intervideo's WinDVD. Is there
> any other program for the Mac (OS 9 or OS X) that alows you to play
> .vob-files?
>
> Does _nobody_ but me have problems with a crashing vlc app in Mac Os
> X??? I can't believe that, as my installation is tidy and not very
> messed up... If nothing else helps I will try to reinstall the OS and
> see if the problem persists. BTW: I use a Powerbook G4-500 - so it's no
> exotic hardware either...

Hi

Do you use the precompiles 0.2.92-pre1 version from the homepage, or did you
compile vlc yourself?

In any case, please call vlc (from the command-line) with the argument
"-vvvvvvvvv", and mail me the output of vlc.

I'd like to try if VOB which crashed on your machine plays on mine - is
there one which is small enough to mail/download it?

Without more information, there is not much I can do....

greetings, Florian Pflug