Bug in DVD subtitles handling

Stepan Roh stepan at srnet.cz
Wed Jul 4 23:17:17 CEST 2001

First of all, thanks for wonderful player. The best DVD player running on
Linux I've seen.

It seems to me that there is a bug in DVD subtitles handling. In today's
CVS (2001/07/04) and all previous versions I've tried (starting from
0.2.73), there is a bug which causes player to Segfaults in certain
places, but only when showing subtitles. Crashes are always on same place.
For example, it crashed on Fight Club (test DVD for region 2, Europe made,
Czech subtitles), Patriot (test DVD for region 2, Europe made, Czech
subtitles), The Nightmare Before Christmas (DVD for region 2, Japan made,
English subtitles). None of them was mine, so I wasn't able to fully debug
it. But I tried to put some messages output to spu_decoder.c:ParsePacket()
and it crashes on various places in that function, causing my debug
messages to be messed up. This usually means some kind of memory
corruption, but I don't know exactly. Sorry, I can't give more info, but
as soon as I'll borrow new DVD, I'll try to find a bug.

In case it may be useful for someone, here is my configuration:
Thunderbird 850, 256 MB RAM, DVD ATA33, on-board sound AC97, graphic ATI
Mach 64 (yes :-) card with 2 MB RAM, but it runs smoothly with window size
set to 640x480), Linux kernel 2.4.5, X 4.0.3, aout alsa, vout x11.

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh