Problems with 0.2.80

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Jul 5 00:23:21 CEST 2001

On Wednesday 04 July 2001 22:59, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> I checked the archives and some other people mentioned things similar to
> these, but not how to fix them...
>
> My system:
> Thunderbird 850, Matrox G400
> Mandrake 8.0, kernel 2.4.3-20mdk, XFree86 4.0.3
> Window manager: fvwm2, Gnome not running
>
> I'm having these problems:
> I can't get X11 or xvideo to work.  X11 plays the DVD showing a completely
> black screen and no picture.  xvideo crashes with the following error:
> 	Gdk-ERROR **: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)
> 	  serial 31 error_code 165 request_code 145 minor_code 2

Someone reported the same bug (or similar) with the Xvideo output, but when
he tried the current version from CVS, the problem disappeared... So you
might as well do the same.

> Subtitles don't work for me.  Any attempt to bring them up does nothing.

Subtitles won't work yet with xvideo output (it's being worked on), so if you
want them, use the x11 output (if it works of course).
One other thing to check is the depth of your video display. I think the x11
video output requires a 16bit depth, I'm not sure it supports anything else...