No output for DVD

Jerry Charumilind jjcspamme at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 15:28:41 CEST 2002

Hello,

First, thanks to the developers for all of the effort!

I'm trying to play a DVD (encrypted, because that's
all I've got) with the 0.3.0 client on Linux.  When I
load the DVD, the chapters come up, and everything
looks okay.  When I try to play it, though, nothing
happens.  No window appears, and I get no audio.

I'm running RedHat 7.2 with a stock kernel on a
Thinkpad T20 with the Thinkpad's DVD drive.  I have
libdvdcss (and libdvdread) installed (via RPMs), and
installed the vlc RPMs available at videolan.org.
I've successfully played MPEGs using the X11 output.
The playlist shows "no info" for the duration of the
DVD.  With no luck, I've also installed the videolan
RPM from enigma.freshrpms.net.

Here are the messages output when I load the DVD:

intf: added `dvd:/dev/dvd at 1,1' to playlist
intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item `dvd:/dev/dvd at 1,1'
input: access `dvd', demux `', name `/dev/dvd at 1,1'
input: dvd=/dev/dvd raw= title=1 chapter=1 angle=1
thread info: 1026 (input) has been created ((null):0)
ifo info: vmg initialized
dvd info: number of titles: 35
ifo info: vts 2 initialized
dvd: title 1 vts_title 1 pgc 1
dvd info: title start: 617386 size: 2874533
dvd info: title 1, 38 chapters, 1 angle
dvd info: MPEG-2 video, ntsc 525 @60Hz, aspect ratio
16:9
dvd info: display mode letterboxed, line21-1 data in
GOP, no line21-2 data
dvd info: source is 720x480 ntsc or 720x576 pal, not
letterboxed, camera mode
dvd info: audio 1 (English) is ac3, 6 channels,
48000Hz, no application specified
dvd info: unknown caption, quantization drc, status 0
dvd info: audio 2 (English) is ac3, 2 channels,
48000Hz, no application specified
dvd info: unknown caption, quantization drc, status 1
dvd info: audio 3 (English) is ac3, 2 channels,
48000Hz, no application specified
dvd info: unknown caption, quantization drc, status 2
dvd info: spu 1 (English), caption 0 prefix 100, modes
[ letter ]
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
module: locking access module `dvd'

When I press play, I get:

input: playing at normal rate

And that's it.  It doesn't crash or hang; it just
sits...  After loading the DVD, vlc also starts
polling my hard drive, although I don't know if this
is normal.

Any help is much appreciated.  And again, kudos to
everyone involved!

Thanks in advance,
Jerry