No output for DVD

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Apr 17 01:57:17 CEST 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 15:28, Jerry Charumilind wrote:

> Here are the messages output when I load the DVD:
>
> intf: added `dvd:/dev/dvd at 1,1' to playlist
> intf: creating new input thread
> input: playlist item `dvd:/dev/dvd at 1,1'
> input: access `dvd', demux `', name `/dev/dvd at 1,1'
> input: dvd=/dev/dvd raw= title=1 chapter=1 angle=1
> thread info: 1026 (input) has been created ((null):0)
> ifo info: vmg initialized
> dvd info: number of titles: 35
> ifo info: vts 2 initialized
> dvd: title 1 vts_title 1 pgc 1
> dvd info: title start: 617386 size: 2874533
> dvd info: title 1, 38 chapters, 1 angle
> dvd info: MPEG-2 video, ntsc 525 @60Hz, aspect ratio
> 16:9
> intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
> module: locking access module `dvd'
>
> When I press play, I get:
>
> input: playing at normal rate
>
> And that's it.  It doesn't crash or hang; it just
> sits...  After loading the DVD, vlc also starts
> polling my hard drive, although I don't know if this
> is normal.

The only thing I can tell you is that I have exactly the same behaviour
with the Windows version when I'm not logged in as an administrateur under
WinXP.
What happens is that the DVD authentication necessary to the decryption
process needs "ioctls" to talk to the DVD drive but you need enough
privileges to use them.

So my advice is first to make sure you have write access to your DVD device
(/dev/hd?), and also to make sure your linux kernel is recent enough and
supports DVD ioctls (2.4.x kernels should be fine).

Cheers,

--
Gildas