Video is garbled in Windows 2000/XP

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Apr 24 00:21:34 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 12:54, R{m|Anssi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a following problem appearing at two different machines
> Other has Windows 2000 and other XP:
> Video playback is invalid (inverse?) colored and halved in horizontal
> dimension. Audio is alright. Although after adjusting the preferences
> it disappeared too :(
>
> The bug appears both with vlc 0.3.0 and 0.3.1 after clean
> installation.

Ok, it's been fixed in the current cvs repository. The problem was that the
non overlay modes were only working if your display was using a 16bits
screen depth. Now it should be working in whatever display mode you are.

> Both machines have Nvidia TNT2 video cards and latest directx
> installed. The same video problem occurs with MPEG1 and DVD playback.
>
> From messages following error appears:
> vout error: can't create YUV overlay surface.

The problem here is that for some reason VLC can't use the hardware
acceleration (video YUV overlay) of your graphics card. This doesn't mean
that VLC won't work but just that the performance will suck because we have
to do more processing internally.

This definitely ain't normal because I tested this on an Nvidia TNT card
and it works. I don't really expect a TNT2 card to be much different. I'll
investigate this.

Thanks for your bugs report.

--
Gildas