distortion of sound in vlc

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Jul 17 08:58:33 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 03:59, Les Clowney wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've just begun using vlc and am impressed with the package. However,
> I find that sound distorts terribly when it becomes more dynamic. For
> example talking is fine but during periods of loud noise, such as
> gunfire, the sound seems to break up and become very staticy. Is this a
> common problem with an easy fix?
>
> I have just tried versions 0.3.1, 0.4.0, 0.4.1 and 0.4.2. The first
> would seem to take some work to even compile, while the other ones all
> had the same sound problem. My OS is Redhat Linux 7.3. The processor is
> an Intel and I have activated dma for the dvd drive,  if that matters.
> My sound card is an Ensoniq.

If the problem you describe is happening only with ac3 sound, you should try
the a52 plugin (which is an alternative ac3 decoder plugin for vlc using
the liba52 library).
To select this plugin, you can go into the "preferences" menu, then
"Decoders" and finally "choose AC3 audio decoder".
This plugin maybe packaged in a separte rpm so it may be that you'll have to
install it if you can't find it in the "preferences" menu.

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas