libdvdcss

Herbert Plass herbert.plass at univie.ac.at
Mon Jun 3 15:41:21 CEST 2002

Samuel Hocevar wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 03, 2002, Herbert Plass wrote:
>
>>Thanks for your immediate reply!
>>The debian package manager does not allow to install both versions.
>>Perhaps a problem with dependencies in the deb-package?
>>

>   libdvdcss2 conflicts with libdvdcss0.0.1 and libdvdcss0.0.2 which are
>very old versions of the package ; if you need to install such an old
>version, install libdvdcss0.0.3.
>
>>Error-Message when calling vlc from prompt:
>>dvd-warning: libdvdcss.so.2 not present
>>dvd-warning: no valid libdvdcss found, I will play only unencrypted DVDs
>>dvd-warning: get libdvdcss at http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss
>>

>   libdvdcss.so.2 is in the libdvdcss2 package, so you need to install
>libdvdcss2. Are you sure vlc complained about libdvdcss0 ?

Yes, propably because I generated the keys with this library.
calling vlc gives:
libdvdread: Can't open libdvdcss: libdvdcss.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: no such file or directory.
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable

I resolved the problem by backing up  the libdvdcss.so.2(.0.1) files and
installed libdvdcss0 again. Although dselect purged the libdvdcss2
package, libdvdcss.so.2 remained. Then I added the stored
libdvdcss.so.2.0.1. Now vlc does not give any error-messages.
With libdvdcss0.0.3 (instead of libdvdcss0.01) vlc also works.

Is there a possibility to remove old keys?

Thanks again
Herbert Plass