Videolan Player on CD-ROM

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Jun 4 09:43:48 CEST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 20:52, Jon Lech Johansen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:19:29AM -0700, Oliver Vornberger
(oliver at cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> > To whom it may concern,
> >
> > recently I have put together a CD-ROM with some video clips
> > about the life in the St. John's college (a graduate residential
> > college on the campus of the University of British Columbia at
> > Vancouver). This CD-ROM contains an mpeg-2 file that I created
> > with Adobe Premiere and the Ligos Plugin. It plays very well with
> > VideoLan Player. So I would like to replicate this CD-ROM and
> > distribute it to the students of the college and have your player
> > (vlc-0.4.0-win32.exe) on the CD-ROM.
> >
> > I kindly ask for permission to do this.
>
> Distribution of VLC is covered by the General Public License:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
>
> GPL FAQ:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

If he includes the binary available from our web site, that is an
unmodified version of vlc ( and it's highly likely he will as nobody in
sane state of mind would try to compile the win32 version ;-) ), then I
don't see any problem at all since the licence is included in our package
and the proper references to www.videolan.org as well.

I would just advise him to wait for vlc-0.4.1 since it will be available
shortly and has solved quite a few problems (especially a big problem with
win98).

Regards,

--
Gildas