network tools

terkurung terkurung at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 00:58:39 CEST 2002

  Alexis de Lattre <alexis at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
> I tried to run VLAN vls on a linux-Serverbox and vlc on a Win2000 machine.
> At the moment on both engines the vlc works fine (reads form HDD).
> But I didn't got a vls-vlc connection till now.
> Do I have to install all of the networktools or wich of that I have to
> install.
> There are any other general advices?

Hi Alexis, I'm setting up the same exact "setup" as yours and has been quite succesfull. What you should have tried is doing a loopback / local broadcast. try to run the vls and open up a x terminal. type: telnet localhost 9999 (assuming your local port is 9999, check vls.cfg) and then login and type password (check the vls.cfg as well). Try to send stuff to your self. Type something like "start presentation localhost local1" the run the vlc on your linux box, just click on the network button.

If that works. Now try to telnet localhost 9999 from your windows machine. If you're getting some "red" color, try to lower down the resolution.

Ok hope that helps :-)

Hendry