Problem...

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed May 8 12:12:48 CEST 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002 John wrote:

> Error message says it cannot find the vlcrc file in my home folder

This isn't a problem, the vlcrc file is not necessery. It is just a configuration file that allows you to change the default configuration of vlc. This file is created only when you change these default setting from the GTK/Gnome preferences interface and save these.
I have to agree though that we need to change the error message into a more meaningfull warning message as it is currently misleading.

> and does not know the depth of the display,

This is the real cause of your problems. The x11 video output plugin cannot detect the depth or your display and fails miserably.
Could you give me the exact error message you've got, because for now I don't see any obvious reasons why it's failing.

Have you also tried to use the SDL plugin (--vout sdl option but make sure you actually have the sdl plugin before. -l to list the plugins)?
You should also try to have the xvideo extension working on your X server as it provides a much better performance and picture quality than plain x11.

>> I'm running Redhat 7.2 and have installed the following
>> rpms:
>>
>> 	a52dec-libs-0.7.3-1.i386.rpm
>> 	vlc-esd-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	vlc-ggi-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	ggi-2.0b2.1-1.i386.rpm
>> 	vlc-gnome-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	libdvdcss2-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm
>> 	vlc-gtk-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	libmad0-0.14.2b-0.1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	vlc-mad-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	vlc-ncurses-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	vlc-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>> 	xalf-0.11-4.i386.rpm

It looks like you don't have the sdl plugin installed. Try to look for a vlc-sdl package.

Regards,

--
Gildas