OSX client performance

player000 at noos.fr player000 at noos.fr
Sat May 11 14:35:52 CEST 2002

hello.

First of all let me congratulate you guys on the great work you've done on
the vlc. This is really outstanding work.

I was trying out an mpeg1 file on the vlc, because even though QT plays it
fine, the QT player becomes very unresponsive playing mpeg1. It's a 40meg
MPEG1 file, nothing special. I made the window smaller so that I could
keep on browsing while watching the movie.

Performance was great, I could drag the window in real time (can't do this
in QT5 with mpeg files, mpeg1 in QT is an insult), however as soon as I
started doing something else in the browser, it skipped frames and the
sound stuttered, catching up after a while by accelerating playback.

Figured it was a priority issue, so I reniced the vlc to -10 (priorities
in OSX range from -20 to 20, -20 being the highest priority a user can
assign to a process), and it got much better, albeit still not perfect. I
discovered something disturbing, the vlc was running a priority 6 before
my renice, which is below normal (0). probably explains much of the
skipping.

This is something that almost never happens in QT. You can tax the system
as much as you want, sound will (almost) never skip, same in iTunes, the
players use RT thread for audio. Have you looked into such an
implementation? Is there some issue with recent builds of the VLC? the
same mpeg1 file in QT didn't skip sound, and lost only a few frames when i
taxed the system.

This is using 0.3.1 on an iMac G3 500 with 384Megs of RAM on OS10.1.4, I
don't have access to my G4 right now.

Omar