will vlc ever run on PS2?

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Fri May 17 16:06:08 CEST 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002, Ian Airey wrote:

> Does anyone know if there will ever be a port of vlc to run on a PS2 - i
> don't just mean using the ps2 linux software i mean loading the program onto
> an 8 mb memory card for "normal" ps2's - I have a modded ps2 that plays
> games on dvd-r & cdr, cd-rw so i just wondered if it was at all possible &
> if anyone thinks it will ever happen??

   I don't know about a native PS2 port, because it'd need a costly PS2
developer kit and I don't know of anyone who has one, but a Linux port
wouldn't work properly since Sony's Linux for PS2 actually runs in a
virtual machine whiche prevents access to interesting devices such as
the DVD drive.

--
Sam.