VLC Late sound

Michael S.Zick mszick at goquest.com
Wed May 29 21:03:44 CEST 2002

Hi..

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 01:20 pm, you wrote:
> Are you using the old free OSS, or the up to date one that costs around
> $20?

The kernel I am running is the release available at www.kernel.org as the
linux-2.4.18.tar.bz2 dated 02/25/02.  Without of any of the 2.4.19
pre-release patches or any hacking done by a distribution vendor.
(Other than the two that I mentioned - which updates my sound card driver and
replaces the Linux scheduler).

Everything else is RedHat 7.1

I just noticed in my /var/log/messages that the ide driver is disabling DMA
on my dvd-rom drive.  So it is using programmed I/O.

Since VLC is a multi-thread program, (presumable video and audio decoding in
different threads) then the Linux scheduler can seriously impact the delays
in the two paths.

You might try changing the thread priorities while the disk is playing.

Mike