[vlc] Re: various win32 package/compile bugs...

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Oct 6 20:54:56 CEST 2002

On Sunday 06 October 2002 11:20, Erik Sinsel wrote:

> I atttempted to compile and went almost smoothly. Make resulted in
terminal error in the gvlc section, regarding 'cp'.  Tried to run vlc and
resulted in dummy interface by default.  Since command line options can't
be viewed with any help switch in a windows dos box, and there are no files
in the package giving the command line options (there should be, as in
usage.txt for instance), I had to get back online and browse the web page
to find --intf  option.  So, I tried --intf gtk and had no luck, same with
--intf intfwin32.  Neither one was found.

> I hope this isn't considered a stable win32 package....

Well actually it is.
The problem here comes from MSYS and not VLC. MSYS has difficulties
emulating symlinks on Windows, this is why it fails here.
A usual compilation of VLC is divided in two steps:
- the compilation of the main executable.
- the compilation of all the plugins.
A simple make should do both of these steps but with the MSYS bug, the
compilation stops just after the 1 step, and you end-up with only the main
executable without any plugins.
As you can guess, VLC isn't really usefull without any plugins ;)

The remedy in your situation is to type "make plugins" after the first step
has been compiled.
You should then end-up with a full VLC client (but with the GTK interface
plugin, not the native one which you have to compile with borland builder).

> Good luck.  If you want specific errors I can uninstall msys and mingw
(which I probably will anyway) and do it all from scratch.  I would have
sent logs of the output but msys apparently does not allow any text copying
from its interface, so I'd have to use printscreen image files.  Great tool
there....

You can copy and paste text from MSYS, just highlight the desired text (no
need to copy) then paste this in your desired application (for instance
notepad).

If you have any other problem, don't hesitate to ask for more help.

--
Gildas