[vlc] Re: vlc 044 and 045 crashes in Win2k

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Oct 15 23:43:06 CEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002, Andre Cretegny wrote:
> I'm sorry to report that vlc version above 041 still
> crashes in win2k... see attached pop up

Ok, we really need to find out what is creating the problem.
For this, I'll need you to run a few tests if you don't mind.

First, download
http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.4.5/win32/vlc-0.4.5-win32.zip.
Extract the file on your harddrive (I'll assume you'll extract it in c:\).

Open a dos command box (in the start menu, choose run... and type "cmd"), go
to the "c:\vlc-0.4.5" directory. Now you're ready to run the tests.

Run the following tests (you can run each test several times, just to make
sure):

vlc --noaudio thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --novideo thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --vout=sdl thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --aout=sdl thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --nooverlay thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --fast-mutex thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --fast-mutex --win9x-cv-method=1 thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --fast-mutex --win9x-cv-method=1 thenameofyourvideofile
vlc --intf=gtk thenameofyourvideofile

Could you then report the result of each test please ?

> So, my current guess is that something did change
> between 041 and the next versions in the directx
> plugins, that my system (a Dell laptop) did not like
> too much - I still have to do the same test with the
> other machines I have (IBM thinkpad, NetVista) - I'll
> send a more complete report if anybody is
> interested...

Yes, this will definitely be useful. Could you also post the details of your
configuration (model of your computer, processor, graphics card) ?

Thanks for helping,

--
Gildas