[vlc] Re: Video Lan install suggestion

Thomas Mueller tmm at tmueller.com
Tue Apr 15 13:17:26 CEST 2003

Hi Jay,

> >Unfortunately, this is the way rpm works and how the different
> >distributions like us to produce them (although i know nothing about the
> >rpm's we have)
>
> Why not use a tarball?  I've started static linking all my apps,
> they're larger but I never have any of these problems with installs
> or mysterious failures when someone installs some other application.
> I just copy them to a destination directory, slap up an icon on the
> menus and desktop, and go.

Static linking is fun if a bug is found in a library you statically
linked to hundreds of applications :-)

> >>    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by vlc-0.5.0-1mdk
> >
> >This is part of glibc.
>
> I made sure the ld.conf points to /lib where this resides,
> and ran ldconfig. Any other suggestions?

The rpm database has to know about that file - if you installed
glibc by hand it doesn't and the above happens.

There is a way to check if the rpm database knows about the file
'rpm -qps /lib/libc.so.6' or something like that (I don't use rpm).

> It's pretty frustrating not to be able to get even the most minimal
> functionality out of my system.

Good package management makes live really easy - all I have to do is
'aptitude install vlc' and all dependencies are resolved automagically,
it takes 2 seconds to install the app, and two more if there is a
update available (aptitude update) - that's Debian.
Keeping a system up to date without package management is a fulltime
job.

--
MfG Thomas Mueller - http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)