[vlc] Re: AW: Re: trouble compiling v4l-support in as well as ffmpeg

Michael S.Zick mszick at goquest.com
Sat Apr 26 21:03:13 CEST 2003

On Saturday 26 April 2003 11:19 am, justin case wrote:
> hmm, i added path in /etc/ld.so.conf but still i get the error-message.
>
> meanwhile i could figure out some more. when i configure
> with --enable-xvid=/usr/local/lib
> i don't get any error-messages when configuring and compiling but obviously
> xvid can't be found/used.
>
> when i only do --enable-xvid the configure-output at some point is:
> checking xvid.h usability... yes
> checking xvid.h presence... yes
> checking for xvid.h... yes
> checking for xvid_init in -lxvid... no

Translation:
the -l command to the compiler presumes lib....
so -lxvid means: "look for libxvid on the include path"

> so -lxvid doesn't tell me anything and i am stuck here.
> i tried strace on the different configures but i couldn't find any direct
> open...something that would tell me what it is looking for.
>
> i have the following 3 xvid-related files on my system (+ a manpage and
> xvidtune..):
> /usr/local/include/xvid.h
> /usr/local/lib/libxvidcore.so
> /usr/local/lib/libxvidcore.a

Several possiblities here
1) libxvidcore.* provides everything libxvid.* should
and there are some missing symbolic links.
2) libxvid.* is different and missing.
3) the makefile is specifing -lxvid when it should
be specifing -lxvidcore

I can't tell which of the above it might be...

Try checking where you got the source for
libxvidcore, perhaps there is also a source for
a libxvid

And/Or
become 'root', make /usr/lib the current
directory, then link back to the libraries
by:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/libxvidcore.*  .
The fourth argument to the above is . (period).