[vlc] Re: VLC new DVB input

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Tue Aug 19 16:07:42 CEST 2003

Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> Well, I have made some further tests with today's CVS, and things didn't
> really improve...
>
> 1) VLC  still stops reading the  stream after a few  seconds, giving the
> same error message

Not on my machine with CVS of last Friday. The input runs for over 4 hrs
  without problems. I stopped it because after about 3-4 hrs the sound
lost it sync (?) and the audio buffers is starving. It never recovers
form it.

> 2) I didn't manage to tune to some of the channel. Perhaps it is related
> to the fact they were using other fecs than 3/4, but not sure...

You should use the correct FEC or set it to automatic fec=9 (AFAIK)

> 3) while  doing my tests,  I experienced 2  kernel panics, each  of them
> showing "cannot handle kernel paging request..."

You are either out of swap space or have no swap space at all !

> Well,  I don't  know  what the  problem is...  Perhaps  too old  linuxtv
> drivers, or the fact there are 2 DVB cards on the same server...

The kernel-dvb drivers for linux-2.4.20 do not seem to be so stable. At
shutdown I get a kernel panic.

Try to yank one of the DVB cards out and see if the problem persists.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman