[vlc] Re: CANNOT play avi and asf with opie-vlc in iPAQ

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Feb 12 09:04:40 CET 2003

Andrew leung wrote:
> Dear Jean - Paul Saman,
>
> Thank you, I created 2 log (attached in mail) , it has many lines claiming
>
> "input warning: garbage (0XXXXXXXX)" or "packets corrupted", "late pictures skipped"

Are you sure that the file is alright? Can you play it on your desktop
and check that you have video and audio?

You get a lot of garbage messages. This means either the video file is
*garbage* or it turns into *garbage* when it travels your network. In
the latter case you have a very bad network link, with mangles the data.

> I did it twice, created 2 logs, would you mind kindly have a look for me?
>

> by the way, I would like to know more about vlc, from the vlc website I know that in familar version of
> vlc it can support H.263 right? can I use H.263 instead of MPEG?

For both formats holds that you need to re-encode your video to meet the
  needs for the transport layer. I used a 1-1.5 Mbps bitrate video movie
for this, which worked quite good with Wireless LAN streaming to a vlc
running on an iPaq.

> Is that the streaming I am using is in fact making use of MPEG-1?
If you encode with MPEG 1, then you *have* to decode with MPEG-1 codec.

>   I have tried the --codecs option and try to use ffmpeg, but iPAQ said
 > that unknow options,
I'll have to check this.

 > What is the role of ffmpeg in vlc? am I using it > already?
It is mainly used for MPEG-4 and DivX decoding AFAIK

> final question, I am using opie-vlc http://XXXXX:8090/test1.mpg, Is vlc using HTTP streming, with UDP as the network protocol?

HTTP uses tcp as network protocol.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199