[vlc] Re: CANNOT play avi and asf with opie-vlc in iPAQ

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 12 19:42:03 CET 2003

Andrew leung wrote:
> Dear Jean - Paul Saman,
>
> 1) You meant using wireless LAN and vlc in iPAQ to receive streaming video? well, for the time being I don't have wireless LAN ready in iPAQ.......
>
> 2) I have tried using ffmpeg to capture stream into a file and play that saved local file on iPAQ by vlc, it seems that vlc don't have problem when playing such a *local* file.
>
> Seems that really BT's matter.......but the same set of *hardware* was previously used in another project to achieve the same goal, that real video WAS ok in windows CE with BT and H.263 codecs...........

Your problem is the required bitrate. The ffmpeg encoding into MPEG-1
results in a streaming video that needs more bandwidth then your BT link
can give. Hence the bad video on the iPaq.

There are two thing you can do:
1) instruct ffmpeg to lower the bitrate that it produces for the MPEG-1, or
2) use another codec that does that for you. Look at the
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html page if your codec is
supported on the iPaq port.

Greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman.