[vlc] Re: CANNOT play avi and asf with opie-vlc in iPAQ

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Feb 13 15:36:12 CET 2003

Andrew leung wrote:
> Dear Jean - Paul Saman,
>
> I see. So If i type "opie-vlc xxx.mpg" is it using ffmpeg to decode it (by default) ?
> But I am using MPEG1 from the streaming server, how can I know what codec the opie-vlc is in fact using? I really can't change it so far .

VLC detects from the stream itself what the best decoder plugin is. If
you use MPEG-1 it uses it's builtin MPEG-1 decoding plugin. You can
indeed override this with the commandline. Look at the page:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ at the bottom it lists vlc user
documentation. You can get more information about its commandline syntax
there.

The see which codecs are builtin in opie-vlc_0.4.6 you type:
$> opie-vlc --list

with
$> opie-vlc -p ffmpeg

you get more information about parameters of the ffmpeg plugin.

> You said no need to have plug in for MPEG4 but are there plug-in in opie-vlc for other codecs?
>

> I have asked people who develop bluez and posted questions in ffmpeg mailing list,
> It is quite sure that MAX rate for bluetooth is ~ 700kbps, I am finding out the actual bitrate that ffmpeg stream out from the server, and I am using method to test bluetooth's actual using some built in command.....still working
>

> Thank you very much, it seems that you are really very very busy!!! thanks for sparing time and answering my questions, :->
>

> Andrew

Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect