[vlc] main input error: failed allocating a new buffer

Christopher DeMarco cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 10 09:20:14 CEST 2003

I'm running
VLC 0.5.3
main root debug: libvlc was  configured with ./configure  --enable-mad
--enable-a52      --enable-esd  --enable-mozilla       --enable-ffmpeg
--with-ffmpeg-tree=/videolan/src/ffmpeg-cvs-2003-03-04/

on a P3  with 512MB physical memory  and a  SCSI subsystem which  I've
benchmarked at a healthy 64MBps throughput (unbuffered).

I'm stress-testing this server, and with a large  number of DVDs (28),
after ten minutes or so I'll see

	main input error: failed allocating a new buffer

spamming <stderr>, my physical memory will be full and  my CPU will be
going crazy thrashing pages in and out and  in and out  and in and out
and in and out...

I can  throw more hardware at  the server if I  have to; I'm currently
banging  on vlc0.6 to get it  to compile properly  with Mozilla and of
course I  can change  library versions for  ffmpeg  and friends.   But
what's the correct diagnosis of the problem?

What specifically does this error  message indicate?

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
  Christopher DeMarco
  cdemarco at fastmail.fm
  +6013 389 5658