[vlc] troubles with vlc-0.6.0

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Mon Jul 14 11:09:55 CEST 2003

Hi ,

after a _lot_ of various trials and errors, i finally succeeded to run the
vlc-0.6.0... and was really impressed by its speed compared to Xine!
Unfortunately,  I am experiencing 3 problems i failed to solve :

1- ALSA audio output
===============

  1) After some time of DVD playback (~10 min) with ALSA audio output
selected, VLC crashes with the following message :

   "vlc: pcm_plugin.c:525: snd_pcm_plugin_mmap_commit: l'assertion `size == 0'
a échoué."

   If i use the esd output instead (esd driving the ALSA device), everything
works fine.

   2) Whatever i try, the SPDIF output is always selected. Neither via the
command line nor through the GUI is it possible to deselect it. The output
defaults to the sandard ALSA pcm only because it fails to open SPDIF.
Furthermore, each time i jump from a DVD chapter to another, i see the warning
message :

   "ALSA lib pcm.c:1787:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM
iec958:AES0=0x2,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2 definition (id: iec958, value:
cards.pcm.iec958) "

2- libdvdcss-1.2.7
=============

   VLC crashes while retrieving the keys of a DVD (the lord of the rings
:extended set - disk 3 and 4). I succeeded with Xine in the past.

3 - gnome 1.4 / gtk+ 1.2 GUI

   When i run VLC from its build directory, the GUI is good looking, but
once i "make install" it, both the gtk and the gnome GUIs become larger than my
display in 1024x768 (buttons becoming 2-3 times larger).

I hope someone will be able to help me solving these issues!

Thanks in advance,
Seb.