[vlc] Re: troubles with vlc-0.6.0

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jul 15 08:33:19 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003, Sebastien Fievet wrote :
> Hi ,
>
> after a _lot_ of various trials and errors, i finally succeeded to run the
> vlc-0.6.0... and was really impressed by its speed compared to Xine!
> Unfortunately,  I am experiencing 3 problems i failed to solve :
>
> 1- ALSA audio output
> ===============
>
>   1) After some time of DVD playback (~10 min) with ALSA audio output
> selected, VLC crashes with the following message :
>
>    "vlc: pcm_plugin.c:525: snd_pcm_plugin_mmap_commit: l'assertion `size == 0'
> a échoué."
>
>    If i use the esd output instead (esd driving the ALSA device), everything
> works fine.

Well, we're  aware our  ALSA output  module has  some issues...  I would
suggest you  to use the  OSS compatibility  layer... This *ought  to* be
solved soon ;-)

>    2) Whatever i try, the SPDIF output is always selected. Neither via the
> command line nor through the GUI is it possible to deselect it. The output
> defaults to the sandard ALSA pcm only because it fails to open SPDIF.
> Furthermore, each time i jump from a DVD chapter to another, i see the warning
> message :
>
>    "ALSA lib pcm.c:1787:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM
> iec958:AES0=0x2,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2 definition (id: iec958, value:
> cards.pcm.iec958) "
>

> 2- libdvdcss-1.2.7
> =============
>
>    VLC crashes while retrieving the keys of a DVD (the lord of the rings
> :extended set - disk 3 and 4). I succeeded with Xine in the past.

Strange... Perhaps  try other key  acqisition methods in the  options of
the libdvdcss access modules

> 3 - gnome 1.4 / gtk+ 1.2 GUI
> =====================
>
>    When i run VLC from its build directory, the GUI is good looking, but
> once i "make install" it, both the gtk and the gnome GUIs become larger than my
> display in 1024x768 (buttons becoming 2-3 times larger).

In  this  case,  VLC  is  using  basic  GTK  options,  instead  of  your
parameters. Why, I cannot figure...

> I hope someone will be able to help me solving these issues!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Seb.
$(echo "BigBen")

<< Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ? >>
Oui, pourquoi ?