[vlc] Re: vlc-0.6.0 and user interfaces

Sigmund Augdal Sigmund.Augdal at idi.ntnu.no
Mon Jul 14 20:19:39 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:16:04AM +0200, Jean Ribiere wrote:

> > you should configure with --enable-wxwindows. wxwindows can be found at
> > www.wxwindows.org. If you for some reason cannot install wxwindows, try
> > with gtk1/gnome1.
> >
> > Sigmund
> >
> I have reinstalled vlc with following configure parameters :
>   ./configure             \
>      --prefix=/usr        \
>      --enable-aa          \
>      --enable-arts        \
>      --enable-basic-skins \
>      --enable-dvdplay     \
>      --enable-dvdread     \
>      --enable-esd         \
>      --enable-gnome2      \
>      --enable-gtk2        \
>      --enable-kde         \
>      --enable-mad         \
>      --enable-ncurses     \
>      --enable-oss         \
>      --enable-qt          \
>      --enable-rc          \
>      --enable-wxwindows
>
> Then I started wxvlc. The user interface seems better, but I could
> not test in detail because vlc crashed in less 2 seconds with the
> following messages :
>   [00000116] main module debug: using interface module "wxwindows"
>   [00000169] main interface debug: interface initialized
>
>   GThread-ERROR **: GThread system may only be initialized once.
>   aborting...
>
> I suspect the problem is due to the fact gnome1 is not installed
> on my current configuration.
This should not be a problem. wxWindows do not depend on gnome1. The error
message indicate that you're trying to open more than one interface. Try
this command to be on the safe side: vlc --intf wxwindows --extraintf ""

> If it is the case, I'll wait till vlc fully support gnome2.
I doubt that this will happen in the near future. vlc is focusing on
wxwindows right now.

Sigmund