[vlc] Re: troubles with vlc-0.6.0

Sigmund Augdal Sigmund.Augdal at idi.ntnu.no
Wed Jul 16 22:49:41 CEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:18:34PM +0200, Sebastien Fievet wrote:
> > Well, we're  aware our  ALSA output  module has  some issues...  I would
> > suggest you  to use the  OSS compatibility  layer... This *ought  to* be
> > solved soon ;-)
>
> I browsed your changelogs today and found something like that in the 0.6.1.
> When will you release a development snapshot of this version?
>
> > 3 - gnome 1.4 / gtk+ 1.2 GUI
> > =====================
> > In  this  case,  VLC  is  using  basic  GTK  options,  instead  of  your
> > parameters. Why, I cannot figure...
>
> This point is (very) frustrating : launching the VLC and scrolling the GUI with
> the mouse in order to reach the button i want to click is not really funny.
> It is the very first GTK app i compile that reacts like this!
>
> If someone could help me to work it out, it will be a great job!
> May be some more informations will help :
>    1- Launching  the VLC from the outside of its build directory returns the
>    following message :
>    [00000018] main interface error: no interface module matched "any"
>    [00000018] main interface error: no suitable intf module
>    [00000001] main vlc error: interface "(null)" initialization failed
This is because most of vlc is located in different .so files. When you just
move the executable, and not the plugins it can't find any gui for you.

>    2- Once "make install" is performed, the gnome and gtk GUI become bigger
>    than  my desktop, wherever from i launch the VLC (its build directory or
>    its  installation directory)
Once make install is done, vlc can also find it's translation files. This in
turn makes the buttons much bigger in order to fit the translated strings
that usually is much bigger than the english once. There is a few
workarounds for this:
1: turn of text on the buttons in the gnome interface. This can be done from
the preferences, or by launching with --no-gnome-toolbartext
2: turn of translations, this can be done my unseting LANG and LC_*
environment variables, ot by launching vlc with --language en
3: compile the wxwindows interface. This is the newest and most updated
interface on linux. And it does not have any text on the buttons.

Hope this helps

Sigmund