[vlc] Re: [vlc]

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Fri Jul 18 12:46:47 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003, Justin Holloway wrote :
> Dear VLAN team.  I am trying to promote the use of VLC for some of our
> enterprise sales and wonder if somebody can answer a couple of questions:
>
> 1.    Our equipment can generate multicast video and associated SAP
> announcements to a specified SAP announcement address (standard is
> 224.2.127.254:9875).  I would like to use the VLC to "tune" to the various
> multicast channels we generate by using the SAP announcement.  It seems that
> there is some support for SAP in 0.60 but we simply have no idea how to set
> it up to work.  We also assume that the channel list that can be derived
> from the various SAP announcement we make would appear in the playlist.

Launch  vlc  using "vlc  --extraintf  sap"  in  order to  activate  sap.
Channels will appear in the playlist. We would also be interestd by some
feedback about  the bahavior  of vlc  with another  sap server  than our
minisapserver.

> 2.    I have passed your VLC client on to many users and everyone can make
> it work for files and multicast. Everyone except me!  My Sony Vaio can play
> regular MPEG file from my HD but whenever I try to tune it to see a
> Multicast I only get a grey video window!  Nothing I have tried in the past
> few months has overcome this. I have been through all the recent VLC version
> and all behave the same.  My partner, who has a Dell, has in parallel
> carried out the same precise steps next to me on his PC and his plays the
> multicast every time. Any ideas?

Well, which OS  are you using ?  Are you sure you don't  have a firewall
that drops igmp request or multicast streams ?

--
$(echo "BigBen")

<< Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ? >>
Oui, pourquoi ?