[vlc] Re: VLC 0.5.3 navigation

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sat Jun 14 04:20:01 CEST 2003

On vrijdag, jun 13, 2003, at 17:19 Europe/Amsterdam, Fabrizio La Rosa
wrote:
> first of all my compliments for VLC, I find it's the best video player
> for OSX.
>
> It has only some problems when moving the "playhead" while watching
> video clips: when I am playing an AVI Divx file (I can't try what
> happens with other file types) I tried to move the "playhead" back and
> forward by using the Arrow keys (left and right), as indicated in the
> "Controls" menu. In some (very rare) cases this seems to work for the
> first times the right arrow key is hitted, but when pressing again
> that key the playhead always goes back. In all the other cases it only
> goes back and never forward.

This is a design issue. VLC was originally designed for Network
playback and therefore has trouble looking into the future of a file.
It will be fixed, but it will take a considerable amount of time.

> In addition, the slider which moves the playhead sometimes seems to
> confuse the time counter or cause errors to the application.

This happens with movies where the sound and the video are in different
parts of the file. The indicator continuously switches between the
audio position and the video position. It will also be fixed, but
probably around the same time as the above issue or even later.

> Do you plan to release an updated version of VLC which fixes these
> bugs?

Always always. ;)

DJ
---