[vlc] Re: specifying video bitrate during streaming

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sat Jun 14 04:25:46 CEST 2003

On vrijdag, jun 13, 2003, at 22:10 Europe/Amsterdam, Andrew Knapp wrote:
> So I read somwhere that you can speicify the bitrate of the output
> stream in the 0.6.0 version of vlc.  Well, i couldn't find a 0.6.0
> version so i got the latest snapshot.  Got it all compiled and now
> when i go into advanced options i see the checkbox that says 'Video
> bitrate encoding' but I'll be damned if I can find anywhere to
> actually type in the bitrate I want to use... is this still a
> developement thing or am i missing??  Any help would be
> apprecaited.....
>
> We're trying to save TS streams in 3,750 kb/s.....   instead of the
> source encoding bitrate...

This is correct. these options need to be set trough the Stream Output
dialog and not by the preferences.
I think under Linux only the wxWindows interface (compile and install
wxGTK or wxPython ) has these as of the moment.
(so not the kde, gnome, e.a.)

But you can also use the commandline options though. Look at the
Streaming Documentation here http://www.videolan.org/doc

BeOS, Win32 and MacOSX should have them as well.

DJ
---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)