[vlc] Re: vlc in iPAQ over WLAN

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 9 00:17:25 CET 2003

Andrew leung wrote:
> Dear Jean - Paul,
>
> Actually  I am using wlan-ng drivers for my prism2 based Linksys ver3 card, may be I should stated clear that "p80211" and "prism2_cs" is the 2 modules automatically loaded when I ahve plugged in the card and boot up familar. and it should be a 11Mbs one.
> its automatically load those modules after I have installed wlan-ng , but what is the difference between wvlan and wlan-ng, can I use wvlan?

I have no experience with these drivers, so I'm only able to give some
hints to my best knowledge. This discussion is not related to vlc, so I
think we should better take it off-line.

> anyway, it is a "wlan0" interface, I ahev assigned IP to them by ifconfig and  I can ping local wlan0, after I typed "route" there is the corressponding network for wlan0
>

> i.e.
>
>        iPAQ   <--------cannot ping----->       Linux box
>
> Linksys card                                  Linksys card
> wlan-ng drivers                            wlan-ng drivers
> modules is prism2_cs and p80211       modules is prism2_cs and p80211

  IP 10.0.0.2                                    IP 10.0.0.1
> broadcast 10.0.0.255                            broadcast 10.0.0.255
> netmask 255.255.255.0                          netmask 255.255.255.0
>

> this is my situation, i can't ping the other wlan card
> Thank you for your help, really thanks
>
> Andrew

Do you have an WLAN Access Point (AP) ?

The /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts configure your WLAN card and how your
cards work together (managed mode or ad-hoc mode).
The /etc/pcmcia/network.opts configure the networking for the network
card. In your case the WLAN card.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.