[vlc] Re: VLC wireless

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sun May 18 09:52:35 CEST 2003

Kunal wrote:
> I am a final year student at University in England,
>
> I wanted to know would i be able to use VLC over wireless.
Yes, you can.

> If i have videos on a server with wireless cards, and client with
> wireless cards,
>
> would it be ok?
Yes, given that they are supported by your platform.

> Would there be any optimised versions for doing this?

No, you do not need an optimized version of vlc. However you need to
optimize you movies to reflect the decoding capabilities of your client
and the available bandwidth.

For instance streaming a DVD over WLAN requires a bandwidth of 8-10
Mbps. Now you think no problem WLAN delivers 11Mbps, but then you are
wrong. You forget about overhead for the protocol and environmental
circumstance of the air. Practical with WLAN you can expect about 5Mbps.

Any movie which requires a network bandwidth below 5Mbps (I use 2Mbps)
will do given that the client has the codec and available CPU horsepower
to decode it. For an iPaq for instance it is useless to send a movie of
800x600 there its screen only has 302x240. So you need to scale down the
movie before streaming it over WLAN.

If you have more questions feel free to ask them.

> I will be using 802.11b wireless.

Thats what I use ;-)

Grtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.