[vlc] Re: How much is stream bandwidth?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Oct 11 11:23:39 CEST 2003

On Saturday 11 October 2003 02:46, Srikanth Uppala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm streaming a simple DVD from VLC to a VLC client
> using UDP (unicast).  However, I'm unable to tell the
> bandwidth requirements for such a stream. How can I
> find out how much traffic is flowing between the two
> at anytime?

When not transcoding, the original video will be sent as is so the bandwith
used depends uniquely on your original video. For a DVD it is usually
around 9 Mb/s.

> Also, when I select the Video Codec and/or Audio Codec
> options, specify bandwidth limits and try to play the
> DVD locally, the video freezes almost immediately.  My
> intent in doing this is to be able to specify the max
> bandwidth.  If it had played locally, I wanted to try
> streaming the same selections. See file attached for
> error msgs I recevied.

Because transcoding is very CPU intensive so you need a powerfull computer
to do that (even worse if you are trying to display it at the same time).

--
Gildas