[vlc] Re: PVR250 + 802.11g + VLC

Jeremy Ardley jeremy at electrosilk.net
Mon Oct 13 01:14:11 CEST 2003

Latency is a direct function of the ratio of I, B & P frames.  To get low
latency you need to have lots of I frames. no B frames and minimal P frames.
YYou should check your card settings to see if you can tweak this. The MPEG
standard specifies the encode/decode latency should be under 150 ms.  In
practical terms, 250 ms produces acceptable results at 4 Mbps '4CIF'
resolution going hardware to hardware.

The other factor is the decoder/viewer.  It needs to be specially tweaked to
go into low latency mode.  Software streaming decoders usually pre-buffer
several seconds of content before starting to play. For security
applications this buffering is not required nor wanted.

From: "Philip Edelbrock" <phil at edgedesign.us>