[vlc] Problem installing videolan on RH8

Les LaZar llazar at zoltech.com
Mon Sep 1 22:11:52 CEST 2003

Greetings all,

I am trying to install vlc (0.6.1-1.i386.rpm) into my RedHat 8 Linux system
(kernel 2.4.18-14).

I copied the rpm package, including all of the libraries and codecs to
/usr/src/videolan/vlc on my system, made that the current directory and ran
rpm -U *.rpm (as root) as directed by the HowTo.  The operation aborted
after displaying a list of failed dependences that consisted of three unique
files:
libXv.so.1, libpthread.so.0 and libasound.so.2.

I did a web search and found rpm's that seemed to contain the missing libs:
XFree86-4.3.0-2.src.rpm (for libXv)
glibc-2.3.2-11.9.src.rpm (for libpthread)
alsa-lib-0.9.6.tar.bz2

I installed the alsa drivers, appartently successfully (the snd* modules now
appear in lsmod) and tried the vlc install again (expecting that the
libasound dependency to go away).  Unfortunately, I got the same result as
before...the same list of failed dependencies, including libasound.

I installed the other lib rpms (without any obvious problem) and tried to
install vlc, again with the same set of failed dependencies.

I then did a file search on my system:
libasound.so.2 is present in /usr/lib
libpthread.so.0 is present in /lib
libXv.so.0 is still missing, but libXv.a is present in .usr/X11R6/lib

I am stumped. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Les